Tuesday, October 17, 2023

16 October 2023 – Serella Castle


17 of us on today’s walk

This included Helen and Roger on their first walk since May

Everyone was pleased to see them again

But they could have chosen an easier walk to rejoin

Also very pleased to welcome Jean to her first walk with the group

She has done a lot of walking in this area, and did not find this one any problem

There should have been 21 on the walk

But four cancelled over the weekend

Including two at 8pm on Sunday evening

Over the past month we have gained a lot of new walkers for both groups

I have increased the numbers per walk from 16 to 20

But that is only for the regular members, both local and non resident

New members have had to go on a reserve list until numbers drop

So I have asked all members to reply within 24 hours to confirm whether they want to walk or not

Most have done so, as they always have in the past

But a small number cancel with very little notice

Or sometimes just don’t bother to turn up at the start

In less than four weeks we have had 40 such cancellations

On one walk there were 8 cancellations

This has meant that I was not able to offer absentee places to those on the reserve list

So reluctantly I have decided to change the rules

In future anyone who cancels a walk without giving a reason will go on the reserve list

The following week I will offer their place to a new member on the reserve list

Hopefully this will encourage the few inconsiderate ones to stop treating the group in such a high handed way

Meanwhile it was a lovely walk today, though quite challenging

I really enjoyed it, despite having quite a hard fall at the castle

I was lucky to escape with a few scratches

The worse injury was to my pride!

Everyone made a great fuss of me

And Trevor and Laura bought me two beers at Bon Aire

Temperature – 20 to 25c

Time taken – 6 hours

Distance – 12 km

Total Ascent – 690 metres  

No comments:

Post a Comment